Subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletter & market reports
Top 100 Ranking Artists in African Art 2014
Given the specifics of the burgeoning African modern and contemporary art market, it is essential to go beyond auction results alone in order to analyze it. This study ranks the 100 artists who obtained the best scores according to five weighted criteria:
- turnover at auction in 2014 1 (25%)
- medium price of characteristic artworks on the first market (25%)
- number of exhibitions in museums throughout career (20%)
- number of exhibitions at commercial galleries throughout career (20%)
- level of recognition among independent art critics (10%)
The To Watch profile includes emerging artists whose first artworks have recently been seen on the second market for the first time.
For this study’s purposes, the Global and the Undervalued profile can be split in two according to the artists’ birth dates:
- Modern: artists who were born before 1940.
- Contemporary: artists who were born after 1940.